Saturday, January 15, 2005

She Who Would Be Gardener

I'll amend my last post to say that there can be at least some nice things about moving. For instance, our new apartment has a flowerbed. I hadn't seen one at any other apartment complex, but there it was when we walked into our new living room and looked out the sliding-glass door.

At first I was unhappy about the ground-floor apartment because "ground floor" is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like "partially underground floor." Our windows look out on cars. At eye level. But when I saw that patio and the flowerbed, I'll admit I got visions of myself in yellow gloves, green clogs, and a big straw hat, planting a conservatory's worth of prize-winning blooms. Nevermind that the bed itself is only 8' x 2' and that I've killed many a good plant in my time. Nevermind that I won't buy the clogs or the straw hat. I'm an idealist. Besides, I think buying a few plants and spending a little time with one flowerbed won't be too much. When I have my little plantlings in their new home, I'll take a cup of coffee and my book and spend my Saturday mornings reading and enjoying the colorful, fragrant Spring.

(sigh) Okay, I can move tomorrow.


Imagination, people! Use it! See past the bad picture and see the potential!

No comments: