Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The End of the Affair

So I returned the shoes. The heel, which was 4 inches sans platform, was too painful. Plus, with the hard plastic sole, I figured I'd end up in a wheelchair after the first escalator I attempted. Not practical in the slightest. STUPID PRACTICALITY.

In less melodramatic news, the rest of the trip was lovely. The company picnic went fine. I got to see some former employees I hadn't seen in years, so that was nice. I also ate filet mignon and peanut butter pie. After the party, Dawn took me to her new house on the canal (which was LOVELY) and we tried to play Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture Edition (at which I failed spectacularly) and then just sat around and talked. The next morning, we had a scrumptious brunch at Le Peep and then we headed over to Ulta for a little frivolous shopping. That store was like Sephora and Beauty First rolled into one. Although at one point I did contemplate perhaps the stupidest idea I've ever had: buying hair dye and bringing it home with me. As Dawn said, "I don't even want to THINK about what that would look like exploded all over your luggage." Thank goodness she was there to talk me back from the brink.

The trip home was uneventful because apparently finding a stick of dynamite in a plane a day earlier did not cause any alarm in Indianapolis, Indiana. No, I checked my bags and got through security in 10 minutes. Fantastic. Now if only I hadn't shown up with 2 hours to spare . . .

Saturday night Hubster and I watched some more Blackadder and relaxed. Yesterday we went to dinner with Mr. T and his girl (whom I shall henceforth call "Southwest") at Clyde's in Georgetown for dinner and half-price-bottle-of-wine night. We had a South African Cabernet Savignon from the Vinum Africa estate, a wine recommended by Southwest who had visited the vineyard and been a fan ever since. I'm not usually one for Cabs, but this wine grew on me. I definitely enjoyed it and would recommend it to fans of full-bodied red wines. We capped the evening off with a little ice cream since Southwest and I discovered we can be partners in dessert-craving crime and our men can do nothing but live with it. No more tyranny of the overly-nutritionally conscious! POWER TO THE SWEET-TOOTHED! (This paragraph brought to you by the hyphen.)

Okay, it's Tuesday, and I have crap to do. Back to the weekly gulag!

3 comments:

Plankiest said...

Oh my gosh! That is hysterical that it took you no time to get through security. I hope that you were adequately entertained!

I weep for the shoes. I hope you are able to find a less painful but equally sexy replacement pair soon!

It was awesome to have you at the house! I am glad that you enjoyed your visit! Zoe is mad that I took down your, I mean her bed. She wants you to come back soon so she can get the bed back! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'll be observing a moment of silence in honor of the shoes.

E.A.P said...

Thank you for your sympathy ladies. It's been a difficult couple of days.