Sunday, August 20, 2006

Lookee! A Recipe Entry!

A friend let us borrow his collector's series of Blackadder and we've been enjoying the heck out of them. Friday night, we traipsed through WWI, and I made quesadillas with stir-fried peppers and onions in them for dinner. Mmmmmmm. I'm sure Hubster will be watching them while I'm gone all week. Catching up next week will be a real sacrifice, but BY GUM, I think we're going to make it work.

Yesterday we got up and worked hard. I did more laundry in between bouts of organizing and sewing. While out at HomeGoods earlier in the week, I had snapped up a fantastic shower curtain for $15 figuring I could use the adorable grommets on the top in the curtains. Unfortunately, that didn't really work, but I have a perfectly sized window to use the existing hem and sideseams of the shower curtain. I put in the rod pocket and PRESTO, curtain finis! Next I'll use the remaining fabric for the other curtain for the basement. Hopefully I'll have enough left over for a simple skirt or something. It may be a bit Von Trapp, but everybody needs play clothes! (AHEM, I've said too much. No more about The Sound of Music.)

On a break in the afternoon, I read a review of The Illusionist, and hooked Hubster on the idea of seeing it during a matinee that afternoon. It was thoroughly enjoyable - one of those films that lingers in your mood for hours. I admit that I often see movies to get a true escape from the present, and this was escapism par excellence. The story centers around a turn-of-the-century illusionist (DUH!) who performs in Vienna and gains enough popularity to perform for the crown prince. I hate to write more because although the plot isn't particularly heavy in this film, it dabbles in romance, suspense, and, of course, lots of magic. Some reviewers considered the CGI effects subpar. I think they're crazy because they were beautifully done - tasteful and background, which is exactly what production elements should be so that the actors (who all acquit themselves will here) can inhabit the story fully. The look of the film was very early-20th century, too, which heightened the costumes, locations, and mood significantly. Also, Philip Glass's soundtrack is fitting and often quite lovely. The movie is well worth a rent at least. If you need a break from the heat, check in out in theatres (although it isn't playing in a lot of places, so good luck finding said chilly theatre)!

After the magic, Saturday night looked kinda dull, so I used the steaks I'd thawed for Sunday a bit early and we had grilled New York Strips with Fresh Tomato Pasta. (I'm gonna burn a hole through that grill pan, I swear!) Along with our steaks, I made cappellini with a little extra virgin olive oil, oregano and fresh, halved grape tomatos. Scrumptious! Along with tbs showing Runaway Jury, my night was quite decent.

After the church this morning, it took a while to get home because we had some shopping to do while we were out and close to the stores. When we finally got home, I made Tortilla Española from Joanna Farrow's Cooking With Just Four Ingredients. Recipe, along with the usual notes on my modifications, appears at below:

Potato and Onion Tortilla (whatever, lady, I know what it's REALLY called)

Ingredients:

1.75 lbs medium potatoes (I used red-skin, but I think a "grainier" variety might be best - one with a less smooth consistency might better pick up the egg and other flavors)

scant 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 onions, thinly sliced (I used 1.5 because they were big and it was still a bit much)

6 eggs

Procedure:

1. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, Heat 5tbsp of the oil in a frying pan [think BIG here, people] and cook the potatoes, turning frequently, for 10 minutes. [I should be noted that heat can be medium to low. I had it on high like for stir-frying, and that was a bad move. I blame my low bloodsugar.] Add the onions and seasoning [salt, pepper, any creative additions you can muster], and continue to cook gently for a further 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.

2. Meanwhile, beat eggs in a large bowl with a little seasoning. Tip the potatoes and onions into the eggs and mix gently. Leave to stand for 10 minutes. [She says elsewhere that you can add other things at this point such as chopped red/yellow bell peppers, cooked peas, corn, or grated Cheddar or Gruyère. I wanted to check the recipe on its own merits so I avoided these, though they sound tasty.]

3. Wipe out the pan with a kitchen paper [Mmm, okay, you're not from around here, are you? It's called a paper towel.] and heat the remaining oil in it. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and spread it out in an even layer. Cover and cook over a very gentle heat for 20 minutes, until the eggs are just set. Serve cut into wedges.

Be sure to let the potatoes and onions sit in the eggs like she says. There's so little egg compared to the amount of veggies that the absorbed egg in the veggies is crucial to bond the cake together. SKIMP NOT ON THE SETTING. Also, I think I slightly overcooked it at the end and it lost some flavor. Check to make sure the cake is set by tapping it with a spatula - the whole thing should move if it's set. Then get it the heck off the heat to prevent overcooking! All-in-all, a keeper.

Okay, I've procrastinated on packing long enough. I'll be off tomorrow, and I'll try to post while I'm gone, which might actually work, but you know, GRAIN OF SALT and all that. Later, suckahs!

3 comments:

RJ said...

Didn't you used to have a cat in that window?

Are you ever going to send me those darn books?

Anonymous said...

...sounds delsih... must make.

E.A.P said...

Redhurt: The cat carefully considered her move and decided to go for it anyway so she's pretty much ignored the curtain. Darn cat! Also, YES, I'll send you your precious books, but first, I have a lot of random procrastination to do. Also, I'm out on business all week. My MOM's awaiting a package, so don't take it personally. I'm a very busy autocrat. (I'll wrangle the car from Hubster next week and get that shipped out.)

Em: I'm thinking this would be a good recipe to feed a hungry family. Enjoy!