Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Word of the Day is "Apropos."

I've been reading Zadie Smith's The Autograph Man for the past couple of weeks, and today I stumbled across the following lines:

"There will never be that moment, don't you get it?" she asked, punching the arm of the sofa. "When you've had all the different people you want, when you're done, when you settle for me. People don't settle for people. They resolve to be with them. It takes faith. You draw a circle in the sand and you agree to stand in it and believe in it. It's faith, you idiot." (p.291)


The passage appears at a crisis point in a relationship when the woman realizes her man betrayed her, hence the tone. The book deals a lot with themes arising out of the Jewish background of its main character, so faith is not a new concept to him. Still, this concept of needing faith in the relationship is telling, I think. It's not a new concept, but it was interesting to read something so true yet smarm-free on this Day of Smarmy Love. There's a place for sentimentality, but too often it seems like we're either cynical or silly about our loves and our lovers. The honest in-between is worth a look.

That's all I've got for you. Except for Hubster, because I might have said it on the phone a couple eight times, but I kinda love you. Enough that I embarrass you on the interweb with my base sentimentality. I know, I'm too giving!

No comments: