Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bonge's: Good Eats Here, indeed!

Whilst attempting to characterize the restuarant whose wonders I am about to extoll, the phrase "tongue-in-cheek" came to mind. I'm such a dork.

It's located in a tiny town in Indiana surrounded by, well, the BOONIES. It's a small building clearly displaying two neon signs: the name of the place "Bonge's" and "BEER" in bright pink neon. You enter and it's an old place with an antique, carved-wood bar and tables covered in brightly-colored vinyl tableclothes. The entire menu is on a single chalkboard over the bar: Veal Marsala, NY Strip Steak with Gorgonzola, and Duck, among others. So this place is big on irony. I mean, I've never seen a chalkboard with wines by the glass and another tiny one advertising $80 champagne bottles. Oh, and the after-dinner mints they gave us? Little boxes of Lemonheads. To quote Buster "this [place] is off the hook!"

My Veal Marsala was MAGNIFICENT. So was the sauteed mushroom appetizer with both portobello and shiitake mushrooms and the most perfect blending of seasonings ever to grace a shabby-chic, wooden booth. Too much, darling. Too. Much.

My bosses said Bonge's was originally just a typical, small-town bar until someone bought it. The chef was the Head Chef at the most chic restuarant in downtown Indy until he quit in dire frustration and his friend, the owner, offered him this random place in which to practice his art without disturbance. It is said that Bonge's is the jewel of central Indiana and only for those In-The-Know. (pause, then eye-brow raise.)

Next time I'm sick of having suburbanites eyeing my discount duds or criticizing my less-than-latest hair style, I will think on this hidden gem and remember that he who eats well has the last laugh. (muhahaha!)

Okay, even I will acknowledge that the previous statement makes little to no sense. I'm going to bed. Good night, World!

No comments: