Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My blog asplode.

I wasn't really expecting to ignite a firestorm over whether "Evangelicals are thoughtful" or whether "the Roman Catholic Church's stance on contraception is counterculture" over my link to Prosperity Theology articles, but there ya go.

Fortunately, I'm listening to Bach cello sonatas so it's all good in the Fyfdom.

Before I wax poetic about just how off-the-hook Johann's tunes might be I will address one teensy thing that's been bothering me. To the commenters most embroiled in the discussion: ENOUGH WITH THE PISSING CONTEST ANGLE. Seriously. You've both said you'll stop insulting each other whilst diving OFTEN IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH into another ad hominem attack.

This is my blog, and I make the rules. I may be capitulating to my culture here, having been raised as a conflict-avoiding female of the American species called "woman," but I will now declare that you have to PLAY NICE.

I haven't posted anything because I've been intrigued to find out what happens here and nothing kills a conversation like lengthy descriptions of my groan-worthy daily activities. (Also, I'm lazy and tired.) Hy-evah! I am not above closing comments. You can feel free to continue dissecting, but I think you'll get further if you don't waste valuable debate time on barbs and instead focus, oh, I don't know, ON CONTENT?

Lastly, I happen to know you both and as you're both Christians, I must appeal to your shared faith and brotherhood. Make Jesus happy! Be ye kind one to another!

Oh, and listen to Bach.

5 comments:

J. Morgan Caler said...

As you command, Highness.

Cap'n Ganch said...

I don't know if this is in any way relevant, but I just wanted to say that I've attended the Joel Osteen church in Houston. It's a converted stadium, and what struck me the most about the entire 'church-dome' was it's design and layout.

I'm not one for symbols and imagery and don't think they're necessary to have a good church, but there was not one single cross in the entire church. However, what they did spend bukoo bucks on was a 20-foot high rotating globe surrounded by two working waterfalls that took the place of any religious imagery or symbols. It was like worshipping at the alter of Gaia.

Also, they have the exits strategically placed so that once you exit the auditorium, the only way out is to ride an escalator down past a 2000 sq. foot Joel Osteen bookstore which, from what I could tell, sold nothing but Osteen's books.

The music was okay, though.

RedHurt said...

Jesus hates bloggers.

Don Quixote said...

I wonder, your Highness, if you would say that Jesus Christ engaged in a “pissing contest” when He said:

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, 'If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.' So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?

Because Evangelical theologians are so concerned with original languages and how they were used at the time the Bible was written, I learned from an Evangelical theologian that the first insult in this passage (you are like whitewashed tombs) would have been one of the WORST insults you could give to a religious leader at that time.

What about John the Baptist? Was he in a “pissing contest” when he said, “You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?” (Luke 3:7)

Your highness, please do not confuse false civility and Christian love. Christians can love each other and still relentlessly and honestly point out each others’ errors. In fact, where better to do so than in a group that is required to love one another? However, you are the monarch in charge of this kingdom. If you do not want us to follow the examples of Jesus and John, we will not.

Cap'n Ganch said...

Don? It's a blog. Not Point-Counterpoint.