Thursday, April 07, 2005

"I'm just a crosshair"

It's 73ºF and climbing here, and after seeing the reckless appearance of the cherry blossoms in April (isn't it supposed to be showers now and flowers in May?), I guess it's really Spring. Living in Michigan and Pennsylvania for the past 15 years leaves me feeling like Winter's got me in his crosshairs and he's just waiting for that perfect shot. When you've tasted warmth only to be locked in the cold for another month, you learn to be as wary as Percy sharing the living room with Jacques, Lord Roomba of the Vacuums. Anyone else from MI remember the April Fools Day when we were greeted by 5 inches of snow? Yeah, that's not soon forgotten.

But despite the prudent half of my brain railing against it, I'm listening to Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out," and wishing I could do something reckless like take a bike ride or go on a picnic or commence the gardening I've envisioned for months now. No such luck today: we've got to pack for a wedding. K's got a cousin whose wedding is this weekend in Upstate NY and we're meeting up with his parents outside NYC on our way up there tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it, although I definitely don't know this side of his family well, unlike the other side with whom I've partied and vacationed several times a year. I'm glad to be able to spend time with them, but it's still tough to know how it'll go. P's and Q's and all that.

The one thing I'm looking forward to is planning what to wear. It will come as a shock to NO ONE that I enjoy planning my outfits, which implies auditioning several dozen possibilities before call-backs and the painstaking final decision. If only the weather holds steady at 60º as predicted, maybe I'll be able to wear something other a snowsuit. I don't trust New York Winters any more than Michigan's.

Alright, Franz & Co., take me out . . .

1 comment:

lvs said...

Shelly still mentions that time we went shopping at the outlets last spring with utter amazement. You are in rare form among clothes. :-)